wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 24 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time.
This article has been viewed 30,716 times.
How can we spread Christmas cheer to those in need? How can we help make their lives bright? Read on to find out how you can make a BIG difference in someone's life this Christmas season.
1Help the homeless:
- Most of us really don't notice those people standing on the side of the road holding the signs. We don't really pay attention to the signs reading, "Will work for food!" How about making a little difference in a struggling person's life?
2Make a basket full of fun little foods, a card, and a few other nice items, like toiletries, gum, a scarf, etc. When you stop at that stoplight where the person is standing, climb out and give them the basket with a "Merry Christmas!" Seeing them smile back will make your day. And you can look forward to the thought that their life will be that much better. Spread the Christmas spirit around!
3Reach out to a family in need.
- There are many families who are struggling with the economic crisis, have single parents, or one parent who is in prison. You can help by joining a charity (as mentioned below) or going to areas where people have less. You can pass out gifts for their children, from something small like an action figure, to something bigger. It will be sure to put a smile on their faces. You will know that you are brightening up lives.
4Write a letter to the mailman.
- Try giving the mailman a letter. You can wish him/her a merry Christmas and thank them for their service to the community.
5Write a letter to a soldier.
- You can also make a day in Iraq more Christmas-like for someone. There are many organizations where you can join and write soldiers letters of encouragement and hope. It will be sure to put a smile on their faces.?:)
6Help 'Make a Wish'.
- The Make a Wish foundation helps grant wishes to terminally ill children. You can help by donating. Also, you could bring a gift and visit sick kids in the hospital. You could sing a song, bring some friends to help put on a silly play, or give them a gift and cookies. This will be sure to make them feel better!
7Contribute to 'Toys for Tots' and abused children.
- You can make a difference by donating to Toys for Tots or foundations that help children who have been abused. You can give money to the organization or help and visit the children, giving them gifts and a smile. It's a great feeling to help out!
8Visit the elderly.
- Visit a nursing home to sing carols to the elderly. You can sit and play a game of checkers after as well! Even bring some cookies to munch on together. It'll make their day.
9Take a drive.
- Offer to be a volunteer driver for a day. After, when the person get out of the car and thanks you, hand them a plate of cookies and wish them the best of Christmas. They'll be recommending you for sure!
10Commit random acts of kindness'.
- Pay for the toll for the person behind you, even pay for more than one, after all, it's only a dollar! Organize a food drive. Spread gifts to neighbors and friends. Pay for a random person's meal across the room. Smile and wave at people driving by. Put Christmas cards on windshields. Help out the homeless by treating them to a meal with you. Buy someone something nice and surprise them with it today!
11Drive somebody somewhere. Give a waiter an extra tip, with a happy holidays scribbled on the check!
12Do whatever you know is right!?:)
13Have a merry Christmas!Advertisement
QuestionA family is in need of help for the holidays, but they have too much pride. How do I go about asking if I can help them without stepping on their toes?Community AnswerIf you mean they are in need of money, perhaps you could find a way to help them out anonymously. You could also try casually bringing up that you are looking for a way to help someone less fortunate for the holiday season and see if they are able to swallow their pride and ask for what they need.
QuestionI don't know how to help in my area as I live in the suburbs and I am a 7th grader. Any suggestions?Community AnswerYou could volunteer at a local soup kitchen or CO-OP. They are usually always looking for more volunteers. You could also have some friends come with you. Depending on your age, you may or may not need an adult to come with you, but it is worth it in the end.
QuestionHow else can I help other people during the holidays?Community AnswerMany groups and organizations are collecting materials for the needy, and you can donate. things like food, clothes, and other necessities.
- Pay for someone's small grocery bill.
- Have fun and feel good helping people!
- Be kind to even the meanest people, and remember what they say, "Kill them with kindness."
- Give away in-good-shape items to people who need things.
- Do a free car wash for three cars.
- Have a free garage sale.